accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Reduced testing burden for bug-fix releases
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2014 19:31:44 GMT
I realize we're past window here, but a few things:

1) I'm concerned about changing our testing standards prior to getting some
practice in on holding to tighter bounds on what can go into a particular
kind of fix number. However, I generally like the idea of just relying on
people voting -1 for insufficient testing.

2) We really could have used a [VOTE] on changing 1.x versions to use
bugfix for the last number. It would be an opportunity to formally adopt
our release governance docs into the PMC bylaws by reference.

3) As a point of principle, David's veto was completely valid as it stood.
While we are individuals it's perfectly reasonable for the PMC to set
requirements on what goes into a release we sign off on, even if the PMC
members may not always have ready access to the resources needed to meet
that standard.

There's no reason David should have to volunteer resources to back up his
veto, especially when it was merely calling for a continuation of the
standard we already had set.

4) While I'm not in a position to obligate Cloudera, the team I'm on
currently has been allocated sufficient resources to meet the current
testing standards for a release and I have no reason to believe we won't
have said resources when future release windows happen.

-Sean

--
Sean