accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE][BLOG] New Blog Entry - "Scaling Accumulo with Multi-Volume Support"
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2014 02:55:11 GMT
paragraph 3: link [3] should be to the 1.6 version of the bulk ingest
information.

paragraph 5-7: It would be nice if  you could show some kind of chart to
back up the NameNode having scale issues.

you could cite the usenix article from 2010 on NameNode write rates[1], but
that was only like 6k/sec and was really only close to the needed "create
new file" and not rename, move, or delete. You could try to use
NNThroughputBenchmark to atleast update that stat on modern hardware. I
don't know if it also includes anything for the other ops.

paragraph 9: I'd recommend rephrasing the bit about HDSF federation being
insufficient for Accumulo. Accumulo could have found other approaches to
leverage Federation as is, but would have been awkward to use on anything
other than a per-table level. We can showcase MVS as a way to leverage
federation easily within Accumulo rather than as an alternative approach.

Honestly, the only way I expect MVS to be feasibly deployed is with
federation used to name several accumulo data directories in a single
namespace. Federation handles sharing datanodes across all the namenodes
you configure. Unless you want to give up things like short circuit reads,
we'll either need more infra to associate tservers with particular volumes
or we'll need to run multiple datanode processes per host. It'll be messy.

paragraph 17: Is there any chance that this example configuration could be
presented as a set of docker or vagrant nodes that are configured to run an
example cluster with multiple hdfs instances and Accumulo with MVS enabled?
Something people can poke at will be way more popular than XML configs as
they are.

If you don't have more time to polish, I understand. In that case the blog
post will read better if the scripts are in a github repo and linked from
the article (possibly with an embedded preview if github does that sort of
thing.)

My apologies if it's formatted differently on the actual preview. My
request for a roller account hasn't gotten anywhere yet.

--
Sean