accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Billie Rinaldi <billie.rina...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: moving rat to a profile?
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2014 19:26:05 GMT
On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Michael Allen <michael@sqrrl.com> wrote:

> In my not so humble opinion, adding licenses to a small set of missing
> files really isn't that hard for a release manager (or other random
> committer) to do periodically.  On the other hand, the barrier that the RAT
> checks throw up to new developers is quite real, and quite annoying.

The problem is not the actual adding of licenses, but that this encourages
a lack of understanding of committer responsibilities.  From our bylaws,
"Under the terms of the CLA that all committers must sign, a committer's
primary responsibility is to ensure that all code committed to Apache
Accumulo is licensed appropriately and meets those criteria set forth in
the CLA (including both original works and patches committed on behalf of
other contributors)."  It doesn't matter if contributors check the license
headers, but committers should be checking them for every commit, not just
periodically or at release time.