accumulo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Bill Havanki <bhava...@clouderagovt.com>
Subject Re: Initial Release Plan for 2.0.0
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2014 20:25:03 GMT
We should ensure that any of those in-progress / un-started features will
be in a condition, by September-ish, that they can feasibly be left
part-done or rolled back if needed. This would avoid delaying the timeline
only because we passed the point of no return on a big feature, and it
isn't done yet.

(If such a feature is deemed essential for a release, IMO a delay could be
appropriate.)

The time from code freeze to expected release is only two weeks and
encompasses (U.S.) Thanksgiving. I heartily recommend extending it, say, to
December 17, 2014 (four weeks).

Other than that, looks good to me.

Bill


On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:

> Devs,
>
> We've had several discussions around the idea that the next major release
> to be 2.0.0, but we're still doing work and making tickets as though it's
> going to be 1.7.0. I'd like to proceed with some initial actions that
> formalizes this version bump to get things moving in that direction, with a
> basic outline. We can modify this plan as needed, and if we later decide we
> do want a 1.7.0 release, we can always create another release plan to fork
> 1.6.x and apply the desired patches and release from there.
>
> According to the bylaws, a release plan is lazy consensus, unless vetoed,
> in which case, we'd kick off a majority vote. With that in mind, the
> following is my initial release plan for 2.0.0.
>
> Release Plan Actions for 2.0.0 (to be done on or around June 11, allowing
> time to veto):
> =====
> * Update version in git master branch from 1.7.0 to 2.0.0
> * Rename JIRA version 1.7.0 to 2.0.0
>
> Initial anticipated features (from previous discussions/work):
> =====
> * New client API (in progress)
> * Replication (in progress)
> * Drop support for Hadoop versions < 2.2 (not yet started)
> * Drop support for Java < 1.7 (complete)
> * Jetty 9 (ready to merge)
> * More... (reply with additions to this list or use JIRA fixVersion to
> identify issues)
>
> Contingency plan for incomplete features:
> =====
> * Rollback, or clearly mark as experimental/beta, on a case-by-case basis.
>
> Release Manager:
> =====
> * Initially, I'll volunteer, but I'm willing to pass it off or assist
> somebody else, if they really wish to do it.
>
> Key dates:
> =====
> * Feature Freeze - October 1, 2014 (create branch; no more feature merges,
> minor API polishing/bugfixes only, full testing begins)
> * Code Freeze - November 19, 2014 (no more polishing, bugfixes for blockers
> identified in RCs only, RC1 is made)
> * Expected Release - December 3, 2014
>
> --
> Christopher L Tubbs II
> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
>



-- 
// Bill Havanki
// Solutions Architect, Cloudera Govt Solutions
// 443.686.9283

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message