accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RPMs/DEBs for Accumulo 1.6.0 via Bigtop
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2014 15:41:50 GMT
No worries! I don't mean to be getting in the way of Bigtop, I just know
that I can move faster and provide the ability for people to make
Accumulo RPM/DEBs in fewer steps, while the bigger cogs spin.

Thank you for your efforts.

WRT packagin tests, we have a number of tests already in our tree (in
addition to lots of people who like to think about tests). I'm sure we
can help there :)

On 6/25/14, 11:27 AM, Sean Mackrory wrote:
> Sorry it's been progressing slowly - I've been quite busy lately. I'll push
> to get that committed soon. I think the only hesitance others had to put it
> in master is there's a Bigtop release planned very soon and they want to
> start stabilizing that one - I expect it'd be merge to master as soon as
> that release is done, although packaging tests will need to be written as
> well.
>

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> While I don't agree we messed up (I think this is the correct order:
>> upstream release, then downstream packaging; and I like this distinction),
>> I'm glad you did this. Thanks for putting these together. Hopefully this
>> will benefit the BigTop users and Accumulo users interested in BigTop.
>>
>> Thanks, Josh!
>>

>> --
>> Christopher L Tubbs II
>> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:32 AM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> One rather user-facing change that we made with 1.6.0 was the removal of
>>> the RPM and DEB packaging from our tree. We did this because maintenance
>> of
>>> that packaging code was historically a problem, and we felt like bigtop
>>> would be a better home for it rather then perpetuate the bit-rot.
>>>
>>> Personally, I think we messed up by removing the code from our tree
>> before
>>> bigtop has the necessary pieces in place. Since getting the code into
>>> bigtop is still progressing slowly[1], I've forked bigtop[2], added the
>>> patch and fixed some bugs that are currently in the patch.
>>>
>>> It's fairly easy to generate the packaging if you have some time to walk
>>> through it. I successfully installed and ran Accumulo 1.6.0 via Bigtop on
>>> Centos6.5 today.
>>>
>>> Rough outline:
>>>
>>> 1. Download the code from [2]
>>> 2. Look at the DEVNOTES [3] and install the prereqs (there may be more,
>>> but I tried to update the list)
>>> 3. Ensure Maven and Gradle are installed too
>>> 4. gradle hadoop-rpm
>>> 5. gradle zookeeper-rpm
>>> 6. gradle bigtop-jsvc
>>> 7. gradle bigtop-utils