accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject RPMs/DEBs for Accumulo 1.6.0 via Bigtop
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2014 04:32:14 GMT
One rather user-facing change that we made with 1.6.0 was the removal of
the RPM and DEB packaging from our tree. We did this because maintenance
of that packaging code was historically a problem, and we felt like
bigtop would be a better home for it rather then perpetuate the bit-rot.

Personally, I think we messed up by removing the code from our tree
before bigtop has the necessary pieces in place. Since getting the code
into bigtop is still progressing slowly[1], I've forked bigtop[2], added
the patch and fixed some bugs that are currently in the patch.

It's fairly easy to generate the packaging if you have some time to walk
through it. I successfully installed and ran Accumulo 1.6.0 via Bigtop
on Centos6.5 today.

Rough outline:

1. Download the code from [2]
2. Look at the DEVNOTES [3] and install the prereqs (there may be more,
but I tried to update the list)
3. Ensure Maven and Gradle are installed too
4. gradle hadoop-rpm
5. gradle zookeeper-rpm
6. gradle bigtop-jsvc
7. gradle bigtop-utils
8. gradle accumulo-rpm

(check out `gradle tasks` for more info on steps 4-8).

Then, install the packages which are placed in the build/ directory at
the top level of the repo. `find` is your friend. the Accumulo RPMs and
SRPMs both built successfully. I haven't tried building DEBs yet, so
YMMV there. (hopefully will make some time later this week).

- Josh

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-1175
[2] https://github.com/joshelser/bigtop/tree/accumulo-support
[3] https://github.com/joshelser/bigtop/blob/accumulo-support/DEVNOTES