accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reduced testing burden for bug-fix releases
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2014 19:52:28 GMT
On 6/23/14, 3:31 PM, Sean Busbey wrote:
> I realize we're past window here, but a few things:

It's ok. I only remembered about this early today.

> 1) I'm concerned about changing our testing standards prior to getting some
> practice in on holding to tighter bounds on what can go into a particular
> kind of fix number. However, I generally like the idea of just relying on
> people voting -1 for insufficient testing.
>

> 2) We really could have used a [VOTE] on changing 1.x versions to use
> bugfix for the last number. It would be an opportunity to formally adopt
> our release governance docs into the PMC bylaws by reference.

I don't see this as a huge issue since everyone seemed to be in
agreement on it. Writing it down for reference would be good for future
discussions on the subject.

> 3) As a point of principle, David's veto was completely valid as it stood.
> While we are individuals it's perfectly reasonable for the PMC to set
> requirements on what goes into a release we sign off on, even if the PMC
> members may not always have ready access to the resources needed to meet
> that standard.
>
> There's no reason David should have to volunteer resources to back up his
> veto, especially when it was merely calling for a continuation of the
> standard we already had set.

That's why I said "Unless you are willing to supply the funds to pay to
use some resources, I don't feel like this is a valid -1." If he, or
anyone, is willing provide general resources for testing, that's a
different story. Given his response, I assume that is not the case.

> 4) While I'm not in a position to obligate Cloudera, the team I'm on
> currently has been allocated sufficient resources to meet the current
> testing standards for a release and I have no reason to believe we won't
> have said resources when future release windows happen.

This would require time from you, Mike or Bill H, yes? While having some
dedicated resources is nice, I'm worried about relying on other people
(who have their own obligations) to fulfill the release manager's
obligations.

I think that gets into the details which the release manager can
coordinate and other devs can express their concerns via the normal
release voting process.