accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Time to release 1.6.1?
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2014 17:03:58 GMT
In the below context, I was using the term "guidelines" loosely, not in
the strictest grammatical sense. I did not see anything on
http://accumulo.apache.org/governance/releasing.html that makes me think
one way or the other.

The general verbage of the page is using a SHOULD context which is
usually interpreted as a "must". I just don't want to ruffle anyone's
feathers (or waste my own time) if it's going to be -1'ed because of
insufficient testing.

On 6/19/14, 9:27 AM, Christopher wrote:
> Guidelines don't force anything. By definition, a guideline is a suggestion
> or recommendation. Even if they were strict requirements, we can agree on
> different guidelines for bugfix releases. Ultimately, it comes down to
> whoever has time to create the release plan/release candidate and the
> results of the vote.
>
> I agree with Mike that 1.5.2 should get out first, and that the upgrade
> discussion should complete first. If we're going to support 1.4->1.6
> upgrades (and I think that's the direction we're converging on), that
> should happen in 1.6.1, not later.
>

> --
> Christopher L Tubbs II
> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
>

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was thinking the same thing, but I also haven't made any strides towards
>> getting 1.5.2 closer to happening (as I said I'd try to do).
>>
>> I still lack "physical" resources to do the week-long testing as our
>> guidelines currently force us to do. I still think this testing is
>> excessive if we're actually releasing bug-fixes, but it does differentiate
>> us from other communities.
>>
>> I'm really not sure how to approach this which is really why I've been
>> stalling on it.
>>

>> On 6/19/14, 7:18 AM, Mike Drob wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to see 1.5.2 released first, just in case there are issues we
>>> discover during that process that need to be addressed. Also, I think it
>>> would be useful to resolve the discussion surrounding upgrades[1] before
>>> releasing.
>>>
>>> [1]:
>>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/accumulo-dev/
>>> 201406.mbox/%3CCAGHyZ6LFuwH%3DqGF9JYpitOY9yYDG-