accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is Data Locality Helpful? (or why run tserver and datanode on the same box?)
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2014 15:52:48 GMT
I believe this happens via the DfsClient, but you can only expect the
first block of a file to actually be on the local datanode (assuming
there is one). Everything else is possible to be remote. Assuming you
have a proper rack script set up, you would imagine that you'll still
get at least one rack-local replica (so you'd have a block nearby).

Interestingly (at least to me), I believe HBase does a bit of work in
region (tablet) assignments to try to maximize the locality of regions
WRT the datanode that is hosting the blocks that make up that file. I
need to dig into their code some day though.

In general, Accumulo and HBase tend to be relatively comparable to one
another with performance when properly configured which makes me apt to
think that data locality can help, but it's not some holy grail (of
course you won't ever hear me claim anything be in that position). I
will say that I haven't done any real quantitative analysis either though.

tl;dr HDFS block locality should not be affecting the functionality of
Accumulo.