accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] end of life plan for 1.4 branch
Date Tue, 06 May 2014 12:53:09 GMT
I share your concern about stating that a new release of 1.4 will
*never* be made or *must never* be made, but I don't see how that
affects removing of the branch for active development. If an issue
warrants it, that branch can always be reopened. Removing it indicates
that it's not expected to be reopened, and that we've agreed to focus
on new versions.

I also have no problem reporting issues in JIRA as affecting the
version they are using. However, we really want to focus on bugs that
still affect a supported version, so a report against an older version
that does not also affect a newer one isn't very useful for issue
management. I'm not sure if that means we should archive the 1.4.x
versions in JIRA, so people can mark those versions as affected or
not. Maybe it'd just be useful to just archive 1.4.0-1.4.3, and leave
1.4.4/1.4.5 unarchived. (I suggest the last two versions of 1.4, only
because the last version introduced a lot of changes that people may
be reluctant to update to, if they aren't transitioning to hadoop 2).

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii