accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Dev branches reflecting minor/major versions, not bugfixes
Date Sun, 11 May 2014 22:15:27 GMT
Accumulo developers:

As part of our transition to better versioning standards, and more
regular releases, with better release planning, I was thinking that
our development branches should generally reflect an anticipated
minor/major release version, and not an expected bugfix version. It
seems to me that we should focus active development on minor/major
releases, and branch for bugfix releases temporarily, only to push out
an important bugfix.

With that in mind, I'd like to change the current 1.6.1-SNAPSHOT to
1.7.0-SNAPSHOT in expectation for a forthcoming minor release (we
would have to discuss what kinds of things we'd want in such a
release. Minimally, I want ACCUMULO-1691), and the master branch to
2.0.0 for development on the next major release.

If there's any outstanding bugfixes in the 1.6.1-SNAPSHOT branch that
would warrant a separate bugfix release, I think we should discuss
them and plan for a 1.6.1 within a month or so (along with a 1.5.2).

I'd like to discuss this here a bit and see if this makes sense before
initiating a vote on it.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii