accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] end of life plan for 1.4 branch
Date Mon, 05 May 2014 20:12:53 GMT
On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 3:58 PM, Joey Echeverria <joey+ml@clouderagovt.com>wrote:

> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
> > I elaborated above, but in short, all previous tags have indicated
> > releases. This is standard to publish tags in SCM to denote a release.
> > it's confusing to have a tag that does not denote a release. Further,
> > having a version that is greater than the greatest approved release
> > may mislead people who build from source to use the "latest", thinking
> > it was approved and it wasn't.
>
> I agree that 1.4.6-eol is not a good name since it implies a 1.4.6
> release that never happened.
>
> I don't agree with the fact that tags are only used in SCM to denote a
> release. I think that's the most common usage, but I've always viewed
> a tag as any significant point on a branch that signifies not to
> expect further changes. The places where those exist in most projects
> is for releases and branches that have been EOLed.
>
> -Joey

.6 is part of what was causing me heartburn.  I suppose another part is
what the tag communicates.  However, this can easily be solved w/ a section
about tags on web site in the git docs.

With an accompanying definition on our website,  I would be ok simple tag
like : 1.4-eol.   The web site could define that tags matching this pattern
reference unreleased commits for a branch on which we will no longer do
releases..