accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Do we want contributors assigning to themselves?
Date Wed, 14 May 2014 20:38:34 GMT
We don't have a formal onboarding process for drawing in new contributors,
but a recent ASF Infra change impacts what I've observed historically.

Here's what I've seen historically, more or less:

1) Someone expresses interest in a ticket

2) PMC/committers add them to the list of contributors in jira

3) respond to interest informing person of this change and encouraging them
to assign the ticket to themselves

4) work happens on ticket

5) review/commit happens eventually

6) If contributor wants, added to website

7) contributor thanked and encouraged to find more tickets to assign to
themselves.

Due to a request from Spark, the ASF Jira got changed to default to not
allow contributors to assign tickets[1].

Before I speak for the PMC and file a follow on to change things back, I
just wanted a gut check that we like the above as a general approach.

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-7675

--
Sean