accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <busbey+li...@cloudera.com>
Subject [ANNOUNCE] End of Life for Accumulo 1.4 - developer details
Date Wed, 07 May 2014 18:28:12 GMT
Accumulo developers,

Per our recent vote to end support for the 1.4 line of development[1], I
have taken the following actions:

* Removed references to 1.4 releases on our website's prominent areas
* Migrated the links for documentation related to 1.4 to a new "older
documentation" section[2]
* Deleted the 1.4.6-SNAPSHOT development branch in  the git repo
* Created a tag for the non-released development done on the 1.4 branch[3]
* Removed the fixVersion 1.4.6 from any open tickets, closed those that
already stated they did not apply to later versions.
* Archived the unreleased 1.4.6 version on Jira so that new tickets may not
reference it[4]

Note that the PMC does not plan to release work on the 1.4 line that has
occurred since 1.4.5. The aforementioned tag is meant for developers who
follow this list and wish to do additional development based on that work.
It is not meant for users outside of the Accumulo development community.
Per Apache release policy[5] it will not appear in the end-of-life notice
for the user list.

Note that for the time being, the released versions from the 1.4
development line remain un-archived in Jira so that existing users may
still easily file known issues against them. Per discussions around
handling ongoing 1.4 work, these issues should attempt to find an
applicable fixVersion in a support line. Where contributors provide fixes
applicable to the 1.4 development line, relevant patches should be attached
to the ticket in question rather than incorporated into the source
repository.

I'll post a draft user announcement to the dev list shortly for feedback.

-Sean

[1]: http://s.apache.org/accumulo_1.4_end_of_development_vote_result
[2]: http://accumulo.apache.org/old_documentation.html
[3]: