accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Havanki <bhava...@clouderagovt.com>
Subject Supporting large values
Date Tue, 27 May 2014 20:30:59 GMT
I'm trying to run a stress test where each row in a table has 100 cells,
each with a value of 100 MB of random data. (This is using Bill Slacum's
memory stress test tool). Despite fiddling with the cluster configuration,
I always run out of tablet server heap space before too long.

Here are the configurations I've tried so far, with valuable guidance from
Busbey and madrob:

- native maps are enabled, tserver.memory.maps.max = 8G
- table.compaction.minor.logs.threshold = 8
- tserver.walog.max.size = 1G
- Tablet server has 4G heap (-Xmx4g)
- table is pre-split into 8 tablets (split points 0x20, 0x40, 0x60, ...), 5
tablet servers are available
- tserver.cache.data.size = 256M
- tserver.cache.index.size = 40M (keys are small - 4 bytes - in this test)
- table.scan.max.memory = 256M
- tserver.readahead.concurrent.max = 4 (default is 16)

It's often hard to tell where the OOM error comes from, but I have seen it
frequently coming from Thrift as it is writing out scan results.

Does anyone have any good conventions for supporting large values?
(Warning: I'll want to work on large keys (and tiny values) next! :) )

Thanks very much
Bill

--
// Bill Havanki