accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From "Ed Coleman" <d...@etcoleman.com>
Subject RE: Proposal for splitting ACCUMULO-1242 into subtasks.
Date Tue, 13 May 2014 11:21:02 GMT
Originally, when I first started work on the ticket, using logback would have been my goal.
 After going through the code a few times, what is driving me now is really to clean things
up a little and position things for an eventual ability to use logback or to upgrade to log4j-2.

After seeing how log4j is being used in Accumulo, well it is going to take a while to get
there.  I use a bunch of code that uses logback and it would be nice to manage one logging
framework.  It is not a big hurdle, just a nit.  And something always seems to require log4j
so I end up with both anyway.

I would at least like to provide the ability of client code to use their logging framework
of choice.

I like the message formatting (maybe I'm used to looking at it) and I don't need to remember
to put guards (isDegugEnabled) around log statements.

The marker interface seems promising and I'd like to see how it could be leveraged.

And with a request for internationalized logging in ACCUMULO-2797, well slf4j (http://www.slf4j.org/localization.html)
seems like it would position us to support that too.

Ed Coleman

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 12:18 AM, William Slacum wrote:

> Sounds good, Ed.

> Just out of curiosity, are you planning on doing this with the goal of being able to
swap out log4j for logback? In personal projects, I like > slf4j solely for the message
formatting feature.