accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Miner <dmi...@clearedgeit.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Accumulo blog
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2014 18:34:23 GMT
Here's a crazy idea that I've thought about a couple of times...

It may make sense to make a "for profit" journalistic-type blog about
Accumulo, ran by a person or company that had the time and money. This news
service would have content about accumulo that you mention, but could also
have sponsored blog posts from vendors wanting to talk about their accumulo
integration and could also host accumulo or hadoop related ads. For
example, i'd have clearedge (my employer) pay for ads about our Accumulo
training classes.

The reason I mention this approach is that blogs take a lot of maintenance
and work to keep interesting. Having it be for profit may increase quality
and quantity since the editors of the website are motivated to move it
along. In the end I think it still helps with the community. In some ways,
this is similar to Accumulo Summit-- it's not just going to happen out of
thin air. We had to get sponsors and such to pay for the event and the time
and effort to execute it... but in the end it'll be positive overall to
Accumulo. This might just be smaller scale but may also be overkill.

I think we have a strong enough mini-community around Accumulo that this
may work (opposed to working for Pig, for example).

Anyways, I said it was a crazy idea, I just couldn't help share in case
someone got some inspiration for it or could motivate me to do something
about it.

-d

--

Donald Miner