accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From William Slacum <wilhelm.von.cl...@accumulo.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Bugs-only strictness for bugfix releases
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2014 13:26:21 GMT
A bug would be something that's an actual issue outside of the expected
behavior of the program-- for instance, if we're getting a
NullPointerException while running a scan of a table that worked in a
previous state of the source code.

An improvement would be something that makes us better off, but doesn't
address any behavioral issues. I would say something like resolving
compiler warnings or your ticket regarding the use of try-with-resources.

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Mike Drob <madrob@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Christopher,
>
> Can you provide a delineation between bug fix and improvement? I've noticed
> that you recategorized several issues, including ACCUMULO-2638 and
> ACCUMULO-2639 and was wondering what your criteria was for such.
>
> Is a bug-fix only something that has been reported by a user?
>
> Mike
>

> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Sean Busbey <busbey@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> > None of our previous 1.x releases met semver's requirements for a minor
> > version, so I don't think we need to worry about adopting that approach
> as
> > a part of the 1.6.0 release cycle.
> >
> > There are a ton of reasons I want  a 2.0.0. Given the significance of
> that
> > change I think we should have a discussion about reqs.
> >
> > It's out of scope for this thread though.
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > It's probably true that 1.6.0 currently would not meet semver's
> > > requirements for minor release compatibility, but something like this
> > > I think should probably change at the beginning of a dev cycle, not at
> > > the end. It seems to me that 1.7.0 would be the time to apply this,
> > > considering it 1) has a different minimum JDK version, and 2) is
> > > expected to contain a drastically improved client API module, where we
> > > could actually apply maven plugins to ensure public API versioning
> > > compliance naturally.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Christopher L Tubbs II
> > > http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

> be
> > > curious, if we applied the rules of something like semver, if the
> version
> > > of code in the 1.6.0 branch is not consistent with the 1.6.0 version
> > > number, but is maybe a 2.0.0.

The lack