accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accumulo Bylaws - Action changes
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 16:10:36 GMT
On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 10:56 AM, John Vines <vines@apache.org> wrote:

> The current line is unacceptable. It can also be implied that every single
> code change needs to be up for review before it can be committed. It had
> been contested in the last vote with no clarity on what it meant, leaving
> others questioning whether it should not be there.
>
> Yet, in spite of that, it was implored that we should pass the bylaws
> anyway and then amend after the fact. Given the turn around on bylaw
> changes and the time it would take to sort this matter out, I decided it's
> best to take out this potentially malicious line from our bylaws until
> something a more sound can be put in place.

John,

I respectfully disagree. AFAICT from the previous thread, everyone agreed
with you that the bylaw was not meant to imply that commits had to be up
for review. I, for one, would not support a rogue committer attempting to
leverage that line to claim we need to be RtC. I'm reasonably certain the
rest of the community would do the same.

While we had consensus that _something_ needed to be done with this part of
the bylaws, I don't think we had reached it on what the appropriate change
was. It isn't productive for us to approach the bylaws as a coercive
bludgeon that we must guard against abuse. We're a community first and
foremost and we need to approach things with assumed good intent.

--
Sean