accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <busbey+li...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Bugs-only strictness for bugfix releases
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 19:24:40 GMT
-1

Until we have a full discussion on compatibility and what we're going to
mean for version numbers, this is counter productive to our
volunteer-driven CtR process. That some of us choose to focus our resources
on more recent major versions is irrelevant.

Right now, we conflate minor and bugfix versions. This change would mean
instead conflating our major and minor versions. That's going to make it
harder for people to upgrade for compatible improvements because the
inclusion of the major changes will be disruptive.

We need to have the compatibility and versioning discussion. This band aid
won't help.