accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <busbey+li...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accumulo Bylaws, vote 2
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 22:37:49 GMT
On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM, Billie Rinaldi <billie.rinaldi@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Bill Havanki <bhavanki@clouderagovt.com
> >wrote:
>

> Going by the standards of a release vote, voting is actually the
> appropriate time to discover fundamental issues.  That's kind of the whole
> point of voting -- getting people to agree that there are no fundamental
> issues with what you're voting on.  Finding valid, justifiable issues
> should be welcome, as it results in a better product, whether the product
> be a release or a community standard.

As an aside, this is not encouraged in our current release process.

The test practices for a release take longer than the voting period for an
RC. This directly implies that the fundamental issues must have been worked
out prior to a call to vote.

I've been fine with this interpretation, largely because it lines up with
Apache guidelines around votes: do the consensus building work up front. If
we're going to use a release vote as a time to do primary vetting, then we
should probably change our RC vote window.