accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Billie Rinaldi <billie.rina...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Accumulo 1.6.0-RC4
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2014 21:50:18 GMT
On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Mike Drob <madrob@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Mike Drob <madrob@cloudera.com> wrote:
> > > Forking thread for discussion.

> > > The README has plenty of intellectual creativity in its content, and is
> > > therefore subject to copyright claims. It could be argued that the
> other
> > > two README files are short enough to not have copyright-able content,
> but
> > > it doesn't sound like that's the case you want to make.
> > >
> > > There is also lengthy discussion on
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-114 but again, that is
> > focused
> > > on small, non-creative files. Our README does not fall into that
> > category.
> > >

> > Agreed. Sorry, I meant the two smaller files didn't have enough. I had
> > combined two paragraphs for succinctness and this distinction got
> > lost.
> >
> > We had previously ignored other README files, but then added licences to
> them in ACCUMULO-2534 when rat-plugin complained. I believe the assumption
> is that README files are generally minimal, but I do not want to speak for
> the developers in this case.
>
> I strongly believe that our README needs a licence header. I am under the
> impression that it never had one.
>

> >  >

> > > I do not agree that "in general, coverage by LICENSE files is
> sufficient.
> > > If that were the case, then we would not need to put headers on our
> > source
> > > files, on our markdown files, on our example configuration files,
> etc...
> > >
> > > I also do not accept "they've been around for a while and nobody
> noticed
> > > it" as a reason to continue to ignore them. Either they are a
> violation,
> > or
> > > they are not. This is not to say that we have been perfect in the past,
> > but
> > > instead we correct mistakes when they are brought to attention.
> >
> > No, the "in general" part I was referring to only was for binary
> > files, which cannot be labeled without altering the contents. That is
> > not the case here (if the document formats allow metadata), but a
> > general explanation of the assumptions that the RAT check makes. I
> > also agree precedent should not determine the correct course of
> > action. The comment about precedent was specifically made in the
> > context of the parenthetical presumption... if that presumption does
> > not hold, and they did not block for some other reason (oversight, for
> > example), that is a different statement entirely.
> >

> It makes sense for rat-plugin to ignore binary files because they could be
> encrypted or compressed or something else, and already have a license
> header (false positives) or are simply impossible to add a header to
> because they are machine generated.

> [...]

I think Mike's assessment that we should add license headers to our README
files is correct, even though these files are ignored by rat.  I'd be in
favor of moving the odg/odp and corresponding pdf files to the web site,
where they can sit until we figure out how we'd like to incorporate their
information into our documentation.  (Note that the policy at
https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html states that it does not apply
to web site content.)  Or we could just attach those files to a ticket
whose purpose is to find a home for the information.