accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From John Vines <vi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accumulo Bylaws - Bylaw Change Changes
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 16:32:04 GMT
The majority of the reasoning I read in the bylaws thread justifying why
bylaw changes should be majority and not consensus seemed to spiral around
"We don't want someone to be able to torpedo the vote". Can someone who
held this opinion clarify why this is unacceptable for a bylaw change but
acceptable for adopting a new code base, a new committer, a new pmc member,
or a new pmc chair? Primarily I was looking at these compared to bylaw
changes when I made decided that bylaws should have the same level of
approval. I feel that having these items as consensus by bylaws as majority
seems inconsistent.

Furthermore, by having the bylaw changes at a lower level of agreement, it
provides a work around for a bare minimum majority to change the bylaws to
allow these actions to occur with said bare minimum majority.

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Sean Busbey <busbey+lists@cloudera.com>wrote:

> -1
>
> I don't think there's been sufficient discussion on this. Also, I agree
> with Mike back in the previous thread. The norm is for Apache to use
> Majority Vote for procedural changes and I'd prefer we follow suite. I have
> faith that our community can build consensus in a reasonable amount of
> time, but sometimes you just need to take a reckoning and move on.
>

> -Sean
>

> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Bill Havanki <bhavanki@clouderagovt.com
> >wrote:
>
> > -1
> >
> > My opinion on this is overly well known.
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM, Corey Nolet <cjnolet@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > +1

> > > from
> > > because