accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Havanki <bhava...@clouderagovt.com>
Subject Re: Accumulo site Bootstrapped
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 16:58:49 GMT
Latest updates available, based on all your feedback:

http://people.apache.org/~bhavanki/accumulo-bootstrapped/

- The nav bar is now fixed to the top of the page despite scrolling.
- There is a sidebar! The logo is there, plus some other stuff.
- External links in the nav menu have a little icon now. Just noticed I put
them to the right, not left. My bad. Easy to switch 'em.

The features page is still not all that great. I agree with Josh it needs
something, maybe conversion to tables. I did experiment with changing the
whole page content to a set of tabs, which looks keen but makes the markup
more complex, and less Markdown, so there's a tension there. I think people
should just start playing with it. :)

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:

> I solicited some ideas from a colleague, and he recommended maybe
> putting the Accumulo logo in the menu, or maybe an alternate version,
> without the surrounding boxes.
>
> He also recommended utilizing the scrolling nav bar (especially for
> long pages), as on http://getbootstrap.com/components/
>
> It would also be good to add icons to the left of menu items,
> especially to denote external links, vs. navigation within the
> Accumulo pages.
>
> We can also consider fixing the top nav bar to the top of the page
> when scrolling (for large enough screen sizes).
>
> --
> Christopher L Tubbs II
> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
>

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nice, that helps a little.
> >
> > Totally agree on avoiding the dotted lines -- what you added definitely
> > helps. I tend to always prefer typographical changes over explicit
> breaks.
> >
> > The features page is a little easier on the eyes now. I think changing
> the
> > sub-headers (the h3's, e.g. "Iterators", "Cell Labels", "Constraints",
> etc)
> > from h3's to h4's would help a bit. Adding some sort of distinction
> between
> > categories would help too -- additional margin, different type or color,
> or
> > something else I haven't put my finger on.
> >
> > Perhaps a slight darker header would help distinguish it against the main
> > content too.
> >
> > ps. sorry i'm not just playing with this myself and sending you a patch
> :)
> >

> > On 3/26/14, 7:25 AM, Bill Havanki wrote:
> >>
> >> I updated to include a modest margin on either side of the body content.
> >> The margins are present on larger displays, but on smaller displays
> (e.g.,
> >> phone, tablet) they disappear so the content spans the whole page. You
> can
> >> see the behavior by adjusting the width of your browser to skinny and
> back
> >> again. If the margins don't appear at all, try doing a force reload in
> >> your
> >> browser.
> >>
> >> I added bottom margins to some headers, and a faint gray bottom border
> >> h2 headers, which tend to be used for main page sections. I think the
> >> spacing is much nicer. I'm no fan of the old dotted lines. :)
> >>
> >> Some side column content ideas:
> >> - latest Accumulo news
> >> - current Accumulo versions
> >> - links to related projects
> >> - download button, of course :)
> >> - upcoming meetup / conference schedule
> >> - link to featured blog post o' the month
> [...]
URLs in

> conflicts

Bootstrap

holding the