accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Havanki <bhava...@clouderagovt.com>
Subject Re: Beyond 1.6
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2014 13:33:32 GMT
Thanks for setting out the discussion, Josh. I agree with you on all of
these issues. My thoughts:

* +1 on "2.0.0". We absolutely could use the extra "room" for versioning.

* The closer we stick to semantic versioning [1] (or some other well-known
versioning spec ... are there any?), the better. a) Versioning is an
encoded message to our users on what changed, and using a common language
is best for that (with limited tailoring as needed). b) Lots of other
projects' experiences are baked into such a standard, like a design
pattern, and we can use that.

* I think we'll naturally get more frequent releases by adopting a more
flexible versioning scheme, adjusting CM practices to match, and improving
and refining the test framework. So, release timing won't be a big deal -
we'll have the power to pick the cadence we like. Therefore, I'd see
release timing as something to define later on in this process.

I suggest the first step is to define the Accumulo versioning scheme,
starting at 2.0.0. The definition can be driven by all the compatibility
concerns, so those need to be enumerated and analyzed for how they evolve
and how that should reflect in versioning.

Bill H

[1] http://semver.org/

--
// Bill Havanki