accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Accumulo site Bootstrapped
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 17:47:43 GMT
Also, inclusion of the twitter/linkedin/github images introduces us to
trademark concerns that should be considered. Thankfully, I believe I
read into twitter's and github's before and there wasn't anything
"scary" about them.

https://about.twitter.com/press/brand-assets
http://press.linkedin.com/Media-Resources?SubjectID=644
https://github.com/logos

On 4/9/14, 12:58 PM, Bill Havanki wrote:
> Latest updates available, based on all your feedback:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~bhavanki/accumulo-bootstrapped/
>
> - The nav bar is now fixed to the top of the page despite scrolling.
> - There is a sidebar! The logo is there, plus some other stuff.
> - External links in the nav menu have a little icon now. Just noticed I put
> them to the right, not left. My bad. Easy to switch 'em.
>
> The features page is still not all that great. I agree with Josh it needs
> something, maybe conversion to tables. I did experiment with changing the
> whole page content to a set of tabs, which looks keen but makes the markup
> more complex, and less Markdown, so there's a tension there. I think people
> should just start playing with it. :)
>

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I solicited some ideas from a colleague, and he recommended maybe
>> putting the Accumulo logo in the menu, or maybe an alternate version,
>> without the surrounding boxes.
>>
>> He also recommended utilizing the scrolling nav bar (especially for
>> long pages), as on http://getbootstrap.com/components/
>>
>> It would also be good to add icons to the left of menu items,
>> especially to denote external links, vs. navigation within the
>> Accumulo pages.
>>
>> We can also consider fixing the top nav bar to the top of the page
>> when scrolling (for large enough screen sizes).
>>
>> --
>> Christopher L Tubbs II
>> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Nice, that helps a little.
>>>
>>> Totally agree on avoiding the dotted lines -- what you added definitely
>>> helps. I tend to always prefer typographical changes over explicit
>> breaks.
>>>
>>> The features page is a little easier on the eyes now. I think changing
>> the
>>> sub-headers (the h3's, e.g. "Iterators", "Cell Labels", "Constraints",
>> etc)
>>> from h3's to h4's would help a bit. Adding some sort of distinction
>> between
>>> categories would help too -- additional margin, different type or color,
>> or
>>> something else I haven't put my finger on.
>>>
>>> Perhaps a slight darker header would help distinguish it against the main
>>> content too.
>>>
>>> ps. sorry i'm not just playing with this myself and sending you a patch
>> :)

>> (e.g.,
>> can
>> back