accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Accumulo site Bootstrapped
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2014 15:43:16 GMT
I solicited some ideas from a colleague, and he recommended maybe
putting the Accumulo logo in the menu, or maybe an alternate version,
without the surrounding boxes.

He also recommended utilizing the scrolling nav bar (especially for
long pages), as on http://getbootstrap.com/components/

It would also be good to add icons to the left of menu items,
especially to denote external links, vs. navigation within the
Accumulo pages.

We can also consider fixing the top nav bar to the top of the page
when scrolling (for large enough screen sizes).

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice, that helps a little.
>
> Totally agree on avoiding the dotted lines -- what you added definitely
> helps. I tend to always prefer typographical changes over explicit breaks.
>
> The features page is a little easier on the eyes now. I think changing the
> sub-headers (the h3's, e.g. "Iterators", "Cell Labels", "Constraints", etc)
> from h3's to h4's would help a bit. Adding some sort of distinction between
> categories would help too -- additional margin, different type or color, or
> something else I haven't put my finger on.
>
> Perhaps a slight darker header would help distinguish it against the main
> content too.
>
> ps. sorry i'm not just playing with this myself and sending you a patch :)
>

> On 3/26/14, 7:25 AM, Bill Havanki wrote:
>>
>> I updated to include a modest margin on either side of the body content.
>> The margins are present on larger displays, but on smaller displays (e.g.,
>> phone, tablet) they disappear so the content spans the whole page. You can
>> see the behavior by adjusting the width of your browser to skinny and back
>> again. If the margins don't appear at all, try doing a force reload in
>> your
>> browser.
>>
>> I added bottom margins to some headers, and a faint gray bottom border to
>> h2 headers, which tend to be used for main page sections. I think the
>> spacing is much nicer. I'm no fan of the old dotted lines. :)
>>
>> Some side column content ideas:
>> - latest Accumulo news
>> - current Accumulo versions
>> - links to related projects
>> - download button, of course :)
>> - upcoming meetup / conference schedule
>> - link to featured blog post o' the month
>> - social network links / buttons
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Agreed on the width of the main page content.
>>>
>>> Additionally, I think the (sub)headers took a step back in terms of
>>> readability. The new stuff tends to run together without an emphasis on
>>> the
>>> individual sections. The old CSS rules added some underlining beneath
>>> header elements IIRC.
>>>
>>> Compare http://people.apache.org/~bhavanki/accumulo-
>>> bootstrapped/notable_features.html to http://accumulo.apache.org/
>>> notable_features.html
>>>
>>> Doing something to better separate the sections would be good. Not
>>> entirely sure I want to suggest going back the long stippled lines, but
>>> they certainly did make the separation easier to process.

URLs in

the nice WYSIWYG

my web browser.