accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2014 01:53:20 GMT
It was gone over back when we discussed what level of Hadoop 2 support
would be useful in the 1.4.x line.

Since 1.4.x is on last legs, Hadoop 1 is the primary platform for it, and
the motivation for adding support is to ease upgrade matrices so more folks
would be likely to get off of 1.4, consensus was that needing a special
build would be sufficient.

The "what to use" is simple and covered in our README: you use our defaults
if you are on Hadoop 1 and just maintaining your Accumulo. If you need
Hadoop 2 you should upgrade. If you can't or don't want to upgrade Accumulo
first, there is special case handling to make 1.4 work on it.

The reflection stuff to obviate having an special build went into 1.5 in a
hurry between RCs. Frankly, I think including it would introduce
unnecessary risk to the stability of the 1.4 line for marginal benefit.

As is, ease of single artifacts is a good reason to upgrade to 1.5+.