accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Havanki <bhava...@clouderagovt.com>
Subject Re: Accumulo site Bootstrapped
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2014 14:25:35 GMT
I updated to include a modest margin on either side of the body content.
The margins are present on larger displays, but on smaller displays (e.g.,
phone, tablet) they disappear so the content spans the whole page. You can
see the behavior by adjusting the width of your browser to skinny and back
again. If the margins don't appear at all, try doing a force reload in your
browser.

I added bottom margins to some headers, and a faint gray bottom border to
h2 headers, which tend to be used for main page sections. I think the
spacing is much nicer. I'm no fan of the old dotted lines. :)

Some side column content ideas:
- latest Accumulo news
- current Accumulo versions
- links to related projects
- download button, of course :)
- upcoming meetup / conference schedule
- link to featured blog post o' the month
- social network links / buttons

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed on the width of the main page content.
>
> Additionally, I think the (sub)headers took a step back in terms of
> readability. The new stuff tends to run together without an emphasis on the
> individual sections. The old CSS rules added some underlining beneath
> header elements IIRC.
>
> Compare http://people.apache.org/~bhavanki/accumulo-
> bootstrapped/notable_features.html to http://accumulo.apache.org/
> notable_features.html
>
> Doing something to better separate the sections would be good. Not
> entirely sure I want to suggest going back the long stippled lines, but
> they certainly did make the separation easier to process.
>

> On 3/25/14, 12:37 PM, Bill Havanki wrote:
>
>> That's easy to do, yes. Bootstrap uses a 12-column grid system, so we can
>> squeeze the body into a smaller portion of that grid. We can also set
>> margins.
>>
>> Another idea, of course, is to use some of that horizontal space for side
>> column content.
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Mike Drob <madrob@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Is there an easy (and global) way to shrink the width? Long lines of text
>>> are difficult to read.
>>>

>>> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Bill Havanki <bhavanki@clouderagovt.com

>>>  Greetings all,

WYSIWYG