accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Havanki <bhava...@clouderagovt.com>
Subject Accumulo site Bootstrapped
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2014 22:40:38 GMT
Some folks in the IRC room were discussing how nice the Spark [1] and Hue
[2] sites look compared to ours. While babysitting integration tests, I
decided to prototype a rework of our site using Twitter Bootstrap [3], the
front-end framework that both of those other sites use.

Here are the pages that I converted.

* http://people.apache.org/~bhavanki/accumulo-bootstrapped/
*
http://people.apache.org/~bhavanki/accumulo-bootstrapped/notable_features.html
* http://people.apache.org/~bhavanki/accumulo-bootstrapped/source.html

You can navigate between those pages using the left nav menu, but try
anywhere else and you'll jump out to the production site.

The pages use Bootstrap's own theme, with only very slight modifications to
be close to our own theme. (I actually disabled around 90% of
accumulo.css.) I kept the page organization like production, although we
have many other whizbang options with Bootstrap. Some bits I left messy,
like the nav items for the user manuals, but you should get the idea anyway.

Beyond just how it looks, Bootstrap gives you many other capabilities,
especially responsive display for mobile and tablets, so there's benefit to
a switch beyond just pretty looking boxes.

[1] spark.apache.org
[2] gethue.com
[3] getbootstrap.com

--