accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Accumulo 1.5.1-RC3
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2014 16:41:35 GMT
Don,

What *exactly* happened in your application?

Changes that were made added more information inside of RangeInputSplit,
as well as the class was moved to its own java file instead of being
embedded inside of InputFormatBase. The package did not change -- I
imagine you may have needed to recompile your application first, but...
was there more than that?

On 3/27/14, 12:26 PM, Donald Miner wrote:
> Sorry to necro this thread, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.
>
> We had some user code referencing this code directly and our application no
> longer works in 1.5.1. Just found out today when installing on 1.5.1. In
> retrospect, we should have been using .listSplits from TableOperatons, but
> instead we were using the RangeInputSplit method to get the splits for a
> table.
>
> I guess since we probably shouldn't have been doing that, I don't know if
> that's a case for this not being deleted without going to deprecated... but
> we did have a nasty surprise and a deprecation warning would have been nice.
>
> -d
>

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 11:33 PM, Adam Fuchs <afuchs@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I'll buy that the RangeInputSplit is probably not referenced directly in
>> user code. In this case it's probably not a big enough change to delay the
>> release.
>>
>> Adam
>>   On Feb 25, 2014 6:19 PM, "Christopher" <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know that this inner class used for M/R should be considered
>>> public API... nor do I imagine it will cause compatibility problems if
>>> users aren't referencing it in their code (which there's no reason to
>>> expect them to). I don't know if anybody is subclassing
>>> RangeInputSplit, but I'd suspect that it's an acceptable risk.
>>> Re-adding an inner class that subclasses the now external one may be a
>>> good workaround. I don't think this would require recompilation for
>>> runtime compatibility, but if it does, I think that's probably
>>> acceptable.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Christopher L Tubbs II
>>> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii