accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Accumulo site Bootstrapped
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2014 18:19:21 GMT
Nice, that helps a little.

Totally agree on avoiding the dotted lines -- what you added definitely
helps. I tend to always prefer typographical changes over explicit breaks.

The features page is a little easier on the eyes now. I think changing
the sub-headers (the h3's, e.g. "Iterators", "Cell Labels",
"Constraints", etc) from h3's to h4's would help a bit. Adding some sort
of distinction between categories would help too -- additional margin,
different type or color, or something else I haven't put my finger on.

Perhaps a slight darker header would help distinguish it against the
main content too.

ps. sorry i'm not just playing with this myself and sending you a patch :)

On 3/26/14, 7:25 AM, Bill Havanki wrote:
> I updated to include a modest margin on either side of the body content.
> The margins are present on larger displays, but on smaller displays (e.g.,
> phone, tablet) they disappear so the content spans the whole page. You can
> see the behavior by adjusting the width of your browser to skinny and back
> again. If the margins don't appear at all, try doing a force reload in your
> browser.
>
> I added bottom margins to some headers, and a faint gray bottom border to
> h2 headers, which tend to be used for main page sections. I think the
> spacing is much nicer. I'm no fan of the old dotted lines. :)
>
> Some side column content ideas:
> - latest Accumulo news
> - current Accumulo versions
> - links to related projects
> - download button, of course :)
> - upcoming meetup / conference schedule
> - link to featured blog post o' the month
> - social network links / buttons
>

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Agreed on the width of the main page content.
>>
>> Additionally, I think the (sub)headers took a step back in terms of
>> readability. The new stuff tends to run together without an emphasis on the
>> individual sections. The old CSS rules added some underlining beneath
>> header elements IIRC.
>>
>> Compare http://people.apache.org/~bhavanki/accumulo-
>> bootstrapped/notable_features.html to http://accumulo.apache.org/
>> notable_features.html
>>
>> Doing something to better separate the sections would be good. Not
>> entirely sure I want to suggest going back the long stippled lines, but
>> they certainly did make the separation easier to process.
>>

>> On 3/25/14, 12:37 PM, Bill Havanki wrote:
>>
>>> That's easy to do, yes. Bootstrap uses a 12-column grid system, so we can
>>> squeeze the body into a smaller portion of that grid. We can also set
>>> margins.
>>>
>>> Another idea, of course, is to use some of that horizontal space for side
>>> column content.
>>>

>>> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Mike Drob <madrob@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>   Is there an easy (and global) way to shrink the width? Long lines of text

README

it is

nice WYSIWYG

browser.