accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Accumulo Bylaw fixes
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2014 17:39:13 GMT
On 3/12/14, 1:17 PM, Bill Havanki wrote:
>> Should the release manager have sole responsibility for determining
>> >whether a major feature makes it into the release if the feature isn't
> quite
>> >ready, or should it require a vote?
> That is a good question. At least for a major release, the beginning of the
> release process = feature freeze. [1] I like the idea of a vote to replan,
> to cancel the current release process and start over. That could be useful
> in other scenarios, like changing a target release date.

Agreed on the vote. I didn't like the idea of giving an RM authority
over the greater community. I much prefer considering the RM as the
guiding force for a release rather than some authoritative entity. The
community at large should still be responsible for releases, but an
elected entity is a good idea to keep the community honest.