accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "NOT" operator in visibility string
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2014 18:04:55 GMT
On 3/10/14, 1:25 PM, Michael Allen wrote:
> The problem I see with adding "write" visibilities along with "read" ones
> is that Accumulo writes "blind", without checking whether or not a cell of
> that type or set of labels exists. I've had it told to me in the past that
> this was a deliberate design decision taken to keep rates of ingest up.
>
> So, if that's true, I don't think you could easily have "write"
> visibilities on a cell-by-cell basis.  Having them per-table, though, seems
> very doable, and perhaps a lot more in-line with what people would be using
> such functionality for in the first place.

It wouldn't be any more expensive than running with the
VisibilityConstraint now. Like Authorizations, it would require a user
to have "write authorizations" which could "view" the CV on each update
in a mutation they submit. Yes, it's slower than blindly writing, but
it's also a big gain over having no support in this area at all.

This is widely tangential to the "not" conversation -- I just wanted to
mention it in the bigger picture about taking a step back and thinking
about how we do visibilities now.