accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Accumulo 1.5.1-RC3
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2014 23:19:01 GMT
I don't know that this inner class used for M/R should be considered
public API... nor do I imagine it will cause compatibility problems if
users aren't referencing it in their code (which there's no reason to
expect them to). I don't know if anybody is subclassing
RangeInputSplit, but I'd suspect that it's an acceptable risk.
Re-adding an inner class that subclasses the now external one may be a
good workaround. I don't think this would require recompilation for
runtime compatibility, but if it does, I think that's probably
acceptable.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't checked what would happen. If you subclassed the RangeInputSplit,
> it's rather likely that you'd need a recompilation.
>

> On 2/25/14, 5:59 PM, John Vines wrote:
>>
>> Will it? Clients don't interact with that code at all directly.
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 5:57 PM, Adam Fuchs <afuchs@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for running that checker, Keith. Should we not be worried about
>>> the
>>> removal of InputFormatBase.RangeInputSplit? If I read correctly this will
>>> break both binary (runtime) compatibility and code (compile-time)
>>> compatibility. Can somebody make an argument for why this is not a
>>> problem
>>> in a minor release with no previous deprecation?
>>>
>>> Is there a quick way to fix this, like by subclassing the
>>> org.apache.accumulo.core.client.mapred.RangeInputSplit in a
>>> o.a.a.c.c.mapred.InputFormatBase.RangeInputSplit that we mark as