accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 1.5.1-RC2
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2014 23:47:14 GMT
-1 (conditional on CHANGES content: see below)

Regarding the CHANGES, I had explained to Josh my
(mis-?)understanding, based on the 1.5.0 release, which started with a
fresh CHANGES file and only contained 1.5.0 issues. I'm fine with any
route we go... whether we include both 1.5.0 and 1.5.1 changes, or
just 1.5.1 changes, so long as it is clear which changes occurred in
this release that were not included in any prior release. This is the
reason for my '-1'. I had initially interpreted the mixed list as just
1.5.1, but after following the discussion, it appears these are 1.5.0
and 1.5.1 changes... and that's confusing. While I don't generally
care about this file (I'd rather just a link to the JIRA in its
place), I don't think that, if present, it should be confusing, and I
think mixing 1.5.0 and 1.5.1 into the same list, without any
delineation, is confusing, because there's no identification of what
is only in this new release. If, on the other hand, I'm
misunderstanding, and this list is 1.5.1 only, and not a mix, then my
-1 can change to a +1, because I don't have a preference to include
1.5.0 changes or not... only that they not be mixed confusingly.

I did verify the following on both CentOS 6.5 and Fedora 20:

All artifacts were signed (detached signatures).
All RPMs have signatures.
All hashes (SHA1 and MD5) match (I'd recommend concatenating them into
a single file for each type before putting on the dist mirror, for
ease of verification; minus the hashes of the detached signatures,
since those are redundant; eg. SHA1SUM and MD5SUM).
All jars are accompanied by javadoc and source jars.
All regular jars (not javadoc/source) are sealed.
All jars contain expected content, and don't include dependent classes.
Source tarball matches specified git branch (commit c810f51b).
Builds against Hadoop 1 and Hadoop 2 profiles, (mvn verify
-Dhadoop.profile={1,2}) passed several runs each.
Binary tarball's lib directory contains the same jars as those in the
staging repo.

(I used a script to automate some of this, if anybody wants to reuse
it: https://github.com/ctubbsii/rc-verify)

I also ran these on CentOS 6.5, Hadoop 1.2.1, and ZK 3.4.5:
Initialized and ran a few manual runs of SequentialBatchWriter and
RandomBatchScanner, and tested some basic shell commands (createtable,
grant, setauths, createuser, scan, tables, table, getauths).
Ran randomwalk All.xml for about 20 minutes.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii