accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] CHANGES Documents
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2014 18:00:05 GMT
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 1:10 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey+lists@cloudera.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>

> > value people are actually getting from this file. I strongly suspect
> > that, if anything, people just want to know the simple answers "What's
> > New?" and "Does this fix my bug yet?" questions, and I don't think
> > this file answers either of those questions well in any of the
> > previous releases. Nor do I think this format lends itself easily to
> > answering those questions. A per-release "Release Notes" section on
> > the website would probably be more useful for that purpose, with a
> > footnote reference to SCM/JIRA for the full list of changes. But, is
> > there another role the CHANGES file is expected to play which I'm
> > overlooking?
> >

> The main one I can think of is "Will this break my already working system
> in some other way?"
>
> So in addition to your two above major areas, I'd say a section on known
> backwards incompatible changes[1] would cover things.

I would really like to see this type of information called out in release
notes.

There have been a lot of good ideas mentioned.  What do we want to do for
1.5.1?  I would not be opposed to waiting a few days on the 1.5.1 release
if someone wants to create nice user friendly release notes.  Or for 1.5.1
we could just continue to do what was done for 1.4.X releases.   For 1.6.0
I think we should create a user friendly summary of whats important in the
release.