accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <busbey+li...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Cascading Accumulo
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2014 19:34:02 GMT
On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Arshak Navruzyan <arshakn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sean,
>
> I was just using the Cascading code as an example.  Not suggesting we
> hijack Anagha's project :)
>
> I think there is a benefit to having a "standard" set of contribs that have
> been reviewed / tested.  Something similar to this:
> http://docs.mongodb.org/ecosystem/
>
> I'm concerned that letting new users go hunting for contribs on their own
> gives (which may or may not work, may or may not be documented) gives the
> Accumulo project a little bit of an incomplete feeling.  Obviously it's not
> possible to take on the responsibility to moderate every possible
> contribution but some basic/obvious ones would be helpful.
>
> Arshak

I definitely agree on the importance of a curated set of related outside
projects. I'd much rather we not have links that answer the question "How
do I search github for Accumulo projects?" since that doesn't really answer
the question of "What are Accumulo related projects I should care about?"

Maybe we shouldn't continue to separate "contrib projects" in Accumulo and
"ecosystem projects" that are hosted and run elsewhere to the extent we
currently do. If I'm looking for examples of things that leverage Accumulo
I probably don't want to look at two different places on our website. Maybe
we could list the Accumulo hosted contribs and the external projects on an
ecosystem page? "Powered by Accumulo" maybe?