accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Drob <mad...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Accumulo Bylaws
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2014 16:41:44 GMT
The ASF's stance on Emeritus can be found in the glossary[1], where they
assert than an emeritus still has the rights and privileges associated with
the position.

It sounds like we could remove the distinction between active and emeritus
in the bylaws, but still keep the designation to give the community (and
board) a more accurate view of our involvement.

[1]: http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#Emeritus

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Joey Echeverria
<joey+ml@clouderagovt.com>wrote:

> "Emeritus" is not an official ASF designation. As far as the ASF is
> concerned, you're either a Committer, a PMC member, or both, or not at all.
>
> The reason other projects use the emeritus designation is to avoid
> overstating active involvement. An "emeritus" member does not lose any
> privileges as far as ASF is concerned. If you want to remove privileges, I
> believe that the PMC has to vote to that effect.
>
> -Joey
>

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey+lists@cloudera.com
> >wrote:
>
> > If people have substantive questions (as opposed to requests for edits /
> > clarification), I'd rather they be here on the list.
> >
> > My main issue is the automatic transition to emeritus status for
> committers
> > / PMCs at 6 months. That's a significant change. Do we know what the
> > current impact of that would be?
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Bill Havanki <bhavanki@clouderagovt.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > I have some minor edits and some questions about it, which I'll add as
> > > comments in the doc. I also agree that a weather allowance is a good
> > idea.

> vote
> > on
> some