accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Drob <mad...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Accumulo Bylaws
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2014 22:36:18 GMT
To those discussing in comments on the google doc - I was reminded today
(on an unrelated topic) that if a discussion didn't take place on the
mailing list, then it might as well not have happened at all. The google
doc is very convenient, but it is very difficult for late comers to follow
the conversation as we continue to make additional comments and changes.

Thanks,
Mike

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/19/14, 1:59 PM, Bill Havanki wrote:
>
>> I'm happy with the active vs. emeritus stuff. +1 to Josh's idea of pinging
>> somebody before emeritization.
>>
>> I'm +0 on including C == PMC. Thinking about if someday the PMC doesn't
>> want that.
>>

> Making sure that we *do* talk about it is exactly why I suggested we
> reference in the by-laws. Forcing ourselves to do things "right" later :)
>

>  About trimming commit access for security: Even if the ASF and ASFers lock
>> down their accounts, reuse of passwords on other less diligent systems
>> (Kickstarter is but the latest) keeps the threat alive. Also, recall that
>> not so long ago, Apache JIRA was breached [1]. It's not unheard of for
>> accounts to lock after so many days of inactivity. As long as folks are
>> notified, and it's easy to get unlocked, I still like the idea. It can be
>> real long time, say a year or two.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/13/apache_website_breach_postmortem/
>>
>> Bill
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Overall, it looks good to me. I didn't weigh in on the doc via comment
>>> too
>>> much, but I agree with the comments that Sean, Bill and Mike raised.
>>>
>>> A few extra things:
>>>
>>> I believe we should state somewhere in the bylaws the Committer==PMC
>>> stance. The breakdown of each role (C, PMC) makes sense to me, but
>>> putting
>>> in writing the practice we follow is a good idea. This also forces us to
>>> have a serious discussion with PMC to achieve a 2/3 majority (alter the
>>> by-laws).
>>>
>>> Regarding emeritus status (since that was also discussed on the mailing
>>> list), I think the verb-age in the doc is good (specifically no
>>> revocation
>>> of commit ability). The only ambiguity I see is who is in charge of
>>> updating emeritus status of a person due to idle? This may be hard to
>>> judge: does it include things like IRC? Non-ASF forums related to
>>> Accumulo
>>> (vendor forums, stackoverflow, etc)? Should the idle member be contacted
>>> before switching to idle to ensure that they're not going to just un-idle
>>> themselves? It seems easy to stomp on someone's toes by moving them to
>>> Emeritus -- I think requiring an attempt of contact before status change
>>> is
>>> the easiest, general solution.
>>>

>>> On 2/18/14, 6:49 AM, Mike Drob wrote:
>>>
>>>  Thanks for putting it in a Google Doc, Arshak!

the document.

replacing all