accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Billie Rinaldi <bil...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Accumulo Bylaws
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:29:02 GMT
I have some issues with the proposed bylaws.  The main one is that it
chooses arbitrary names for approval types that do not match Apache's
definitions [1][2].  I believe we should stick with Apache's definitions.
I also see no reason to change the general guidelines provided for which
types of approval are needed in various scenarios.

Another major departure in the proposed bylaws is that it gives committers
binding votes in some situations, while typically only PMC members have
binding votes.  Since our policy is for all PMC members to be committers,
we don't need to alter the standard responsibilities of committers.

Also, the described responsibilities of committers and PMC members are
misleading in that they leave out (or fail to clarify) some of the most
important responsibilities of those roles.

I don't have any particular feeling on whether we should introduce the
concept of emeritus committers or not.  It seems the major reason for
wanting to do so is to keep 2/3 majority votes managable, but I am not
actually sure we need to introduce the concept of a 2/3 majority vote.  We
could just use a standard veto-able vote (Apache Consensus Approval),
perhaps with a longer time frame to ensure that everyone has a chance to
weigh in.

[1]: https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
[2]: https://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html