accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Billie Rinaldi <billie.rina...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 1.5.1-RC2
Date Sat, 15 Feb 2014 23:00:02 GMT
On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:

> A somewhat more formal way of "extending" the vote would be to simply
> retract/cancel this vote (or let it lapse with no votes), and just
> re-issue another vote with identical artifacts at a more opportune
> time. I point this out for two reasons:
>
> 1) I don't want to undermine Josh's work to create this release
> candidate. He shouldn't have to do that again if nothing has changed
> and we just need more time to review. And,
>
> 2) The vote was called with a 72hr. notice, and changing that after
> the fact is probably a bit questionable. We can achieve the same
> effect without modifying the characteristics of the vote, by simply
> calling a new vote, identical to this one, later.

I'm not sure that extending the vote is questionable.  I think it would be
fine if Josh just said the vote deadline is extended to X (perhaps an
additional 72 hours, or maybe event one week from the original post since
many people have Monday off).  Some Apache projects explicitly mention that
votes may be extended in their bylaws [1], so that's something we could
consider when we write ours.

But if people would feel more comfortable if Josh reposted the vote, I'm
sure he could do that.  :-)

[1]: https://hc.apache.org/bylaws.html

--
Christopher L Tubbs II