accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] CHANGES Documents
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2014 06:32:23 GMT

On 2/19/14, 10:10 PM, Sean Busbey wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> value people are actually getting from this file. I strongly suspect
>> that, if anything, people just want to know the simple answers "What's
>> New?" and "Does this fix my bug yet?" questions, and I don't think
>> this file answers either of those questions well in any of the
>> previous releases. Nor do I think this format lends itself easily to
>> answering those questions. A per-release "Release Notes" section on
>> the website would probably be more useful for that purpose, with a
>> footnote reference to SCM/JIRA for the full list of changes. But, is
>> there another role the CHANGES file is expected to play which I'm
>> overlooking?
>>

> The main one I can think of is "Will this break my already working system
> in some other way?"

I would think that something like an UPGRADE or any sort of document
would be better served for this. Any other time, there shouldn't be
anything required.

> So in addition to your two above major areas, I'd say a section on known
> backwards incompatible changes[1] would cover things.
>
> I agree that a section on the website would be more broadly useful than in
> the distribution (esp if we're authoring this rather than generating it via
> jira). I think it would be beneficial, however, to use Markdown in the CMS
> to author and then include that file directly in the distro as a snapshot
> for those offline. Authoring in the CMS would hopefully also encourage us
> to update the document incrementally rather than making the release manager
> handle it at the end.
>
> The more I reread this thread, the more I like the release notes described
> by Eric[2].

While I agree that would be nice, I don't know of a quantitative way to
determine that. Is "critical" categorized by some Jira priority? Do we
end up omitting something that someone wanted? I feel like we should
just bundle all changes for that release or none at that point.