accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 1.5.1-RC2
Date Sun, 16 Feb 2014 00:17:09 GMT
Alright, given the snow, holiday, and the lack of bylaws stating that I
cannot do this:

I'm extending the VOTE on 1.5.1-RC2 until 02/19/2014 1900 EST (this
extends the original duration to a week for those keeping track). This
is expected to provide an additional two full work days for people to
inspect the release.

Let's get some good feedback before then, folks.

- Josh

On 2/15/14, 6:29 PM, Christopher wrote:
> Either way works for me.
>
> I was just suggesting a more formal approach in the absence of bylaws
> that explicitly permit extensions. The general concern, I suppose, is
> that vote extensions could be used to manipulate to a desired outcome
> in a majority approval scheme... so having the vote conditions fixed
> at the time it is announced prevents that. I don't think that's a
> serious concern, though... especially since we all have the same goal
> of producing a quality release, and preventing one that falls short of
> that.
>
> With the bylaws in place, things are simpler, because we'd have
> already agreed on those bylaws, and wouldn't need to do anything
> silly, like vote on whether to allow a vote extension in the first
> place (which would get obnoxious).
>
> --
> Christopher L Tubbs II
> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
>

> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 6:00 PM, Billie Rinaldi
> <billie.rinaldi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> A somewhat more formal way of "extending" the vote would be to simply
>>> retract/cancel this vote (or let it lapse with no votes), and just
>>> re-issue another vote with identical artifacts at a more opportune
>>> time. I point this out for two reasons:
>>>
>>> 1) I don't want to undermine Josh's work to create this release
>>> candidate. He shouldn't have to do that again if nothing has changed
>>> and we just need more time to review. And,
>>>
>>> 2) The vote was called with a 72hr. notice, and changing that after
>>> the fact is probably a bit questionable. We can achieve the same
>>> effect without modifying the characteristics of the vote, by simply
>>> calling a new vote, identical to this one, later.
>>>

>> I'm not sure that extending the vote is questionable.  I think it would be
>> fine if Josh just said the vote deadline is extended to X (perhaps an
>> additional 72 hours, or maybe event one week from the original post since
>> many people have Monday off).  Some Apache projects explicitly mention that
>> votes may be extended in their bylaws [1], so that's something we could
>> consider when we write ours.
>>
>> But if people would feel more comfortable if Josh reposted the vote, I'm
> [...]
RC1.