accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From <dlmar...@comcast.net>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Accumulo Bylaws
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2014 21:36:41 GMT
" I do think it's in our interest to keep the committership and PMC
membership mostly active. For example, having many inactive committers
brings a higher risk of a compromised committer account causing trouble."

+1

Do we know which committers have not committed a change in 6 months?

I see that " Commit access can be revoked by a unanimous vote of all the
active PMC members", but re-instatement is by lazy concensus. Why are they
different?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Havanki [mailto:bhavanki@clouderagovt.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:39 AM
To: dev@accumulo.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Accumulo Bylaws

My comments and minor edits are in the doc, I'll bring up bigger issues on
this list.

Re emeritus status for committers: I'd like it not to constitute an
automatic "kicking you off the island" action. For example, I wouldn't want
to close off commit access on day 181. It can be a time when we
automatically check on the level of involvement an emeritus / emerita wishes
to keep. I'm fine with softening the bylaw verbiage in that regard.

I do think it's in our interest to keep the committership and PMC membership
mostly active. For example, having many inactive committers brings a higher
risk of a compromised committer account causing trouble.
Also, it'd be hard collecting a 2/3 majority of PMC members when many are
not paying any attention.

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Joey Echeverria
<joey+ml@clouderagovt.com>wrote:

> "Emeritus" is not an official ASF designation. As far as the ASF is
> concerned, you're either a Committer, a PMC member, or both, or not at
all.

> The reason other projects use the emeritus designation is to avoid
> overstating active involvement. An "emeritus" member does not lose any
> privileges as far as ASF is concerned. If you want to remove
> privileges, I believe that the PMC has to vote to that effect.
>
> -Joey
>

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Sean Busbey
> <busbey+lists@cloudera.com
> >wrote:
>
> > If people have substantive questions (as opposed to requests for
> > edits / clarification), I'd rather they be here on the list.
> >
> > My main issue is the automatic transition to emeritus status for
> committers
> > / PMCs at 6 months. That's a significant change. Do we know what the
> > current impact of that would be?
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Bill Havanki
> > <bhavanki@clouderagovt.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > I have some minor edits and some questions about it, which I'll
> > > add as comments in the doc. I also agree that a weather allowance
> > > is a good
> > idea.

> vote
> > on