accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building RPMs
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2014 01:08:56 GMT
I did automate setting up a yum repo in the assemble module's target
directory, to make testing easier.

I'm not entirely surprised the services fail to start... there's not
been much attempt to update the SysVInit scripts. I had hoped that
would be ironed out more thoroughly in testing. I think the idea is
that the init script needs to add the start jar and any minimal
dependencies to the classpath, and the default  accumulo-site.xml
configuration file should have the general.classpaths property set to
include the correct locations. I did some testing of this, but have
not yet had a chance to push them up, and they may still need more
work. I would say to file bugs for anything that's not working (init
script can't find start jar, default config can't find jars) and let's
fix it.

As for the reason these jars are in /usr/share/java, well, that's the
de-facto standard for jars in RHEL/CentOS (esp. EPEL) packages, and is
the explicit standard in Fedora (the most popular RPM-based community
distribution, and the same community that maintains EPEL). The goal
for making RPMs that go there was to standardize in a way that would
make it easy to transition to a state where we could push RPMs to
Fedora/EPEL, as Hadoop, Thrift, and ZooKeeper already have.
Eventually, I'd prefer to stop packaging RPMs entirely... and just
make it easier for downstream package maintainers in
BigTop/Fedora/EPEL/whatever to package Accumulo, so we can focus less
on packaging *and* development. This change to standard locations was
one step towards that. Unfortunately, the init scripts and config were
simply overlooked and you were the first to notice.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii