accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From William Slacum <wilhelm.von.cl...@accumulo.net>
Subject Re: Resource leak warnings
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2013 19:23:10 GMT
We need to actually define the usage pattern and lifetime of a
ZooKeeperInstance. Looking at the code, it's really masking a singleton
usage pattern. The resources backing a given set of zookeepers+timeout pair
all share a ZooCache, and we hand-rolled reference counting for
ZooKeeperInstances themselves. That indicates that a ZooKeeperInstance is
basically a global variable, and we have to be careful about the resources
it allocates, directly or indirectly, because their lifetimes are opaque
from the perspective of the client.

I'm a fan of the close method, because it puts, in code, how an instance
tidies up after itself. We didn't have any cleanup before because the
ZooCache for a given zookeeper+timeout lived on until the process died.
Since the side effects of our API aren't documented or made clear to the
client, it's on us to handle and manage them. Making it optional for a user
is a benefit, because maybe they don't care and someone else (gc, another
management thread) will call close() on the instance, or maybe they want to
force a close at class unloading.

The utility seems to be brute forcing shutdown- is it possible to get
something finer grained for specific instances? Shutting down every thing
will handle the "clean up at unload" time issue, but not necessarily
anything involving closing down a subset of ZooSessions.