accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <busbey...@clouderagovt.com>
Subject Re: Resource leak warnings
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2013 15:05:51 GMT
On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2013 9:36 AM, "William Slacum" <wilhelm.von.cloud@accumulo.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > That being said, has anyone started on the utility so we can at least
> have
> > a comparison/bake off?
>
> A utility that forcefully closes all resources to prevent a leak? I don't
> believe I've seen a ticket for that yet. Please make one if so.
>
> What do you want to compare? That the resources are cleaned up? I would
> assume that would be a part of testing before the aforementioned utility
> would be committed.

There's no ticket yet. Jared Winick, the creator of the utility to test the
close() based solution, mentioned in chat that he could do it this week.
I'll circle back with him and get a ticket made so that either he or I can
get it done.

> > I assume this is going to block  1.6.0/1.5.1.
> >

> Only if we decide it should :). It's one of those things that has likely
> bit people for quite some time. It's up to us to decide if it's severe
> enough that we should try to get it fixed before making another release.

Actually, this should block 1.6.0, 1.5.1, and 1.4.5 since once published
we'll be stuck with the API change.

Since this impacts anyone working in a reusable container environment, and
we've already had one group of users bring it up as a significant issue, I
would vote that it should block. Non-binding, that is.

--
Sean