accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Long-lived resources
Date Fri, 20 Dec 2013 04:58:59 GMT
On 12/19/13, 11:43 PM, Mike Drob wrote:
> The larger discussion that we need to have is what we do about the API
> problems, and the long-lived resources. There has been some discussion in
> IRC, on various JIRAs, and sprinkled across email about the proper
> solution, but I'm having a hard time mentally merging all of those
> conversations, so I'll propose that we refocus on it here.
>
> What are our invariants? What are the goals? What tools are available to
> solve the problem?

What are some of the issues you see now, Mike?

I can think of the lifetime and thread-safe-ness of Instance and
Connector being rather undefined right now. Actually, the
thread-safe-ness of many objects created off of Connector is unclear
without reading the implementations.

I think we all agree that there are areas we could improve, but if we
don't lay out what the ones we want to try to make better, and how to do
so, we're not making any progress.