accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From "Terry P." <texpi...@gmail.com>
Subject Git question
Date Sun, 17 Nov 2013 20:54:14 GMT
Greetings folks,
I'm working on ACCUMULO-1901 but am a newbie with git and want to ensure I
do my check-in and patch correctly the first time.

My questions are:

1. 'git help commit' says "even modified files must be 'added'" but the
Accumulo Contributor instructions don't mention doing a 'git add' at all.
Do I need to first to a 'git add' for the filename I'm changing / going to
change?

2. Step 5 "Make commits" mentions "referencing the issue name in the commit
message", but the syntax shown doesn't include the -m switch that I see in
the git commit help. I assume a more complete syntax example for my case
would be:

  git commit -av -m "ACCUMULO-1901" bin/start-here.sh

Or if I do it from the directory where my code change was done, do I even
need to include the filename? Or ever? (meaning does git commit everything
in its index automatically?) Again, I'm brand new to git and want to do
this right the first time.

Thanks for the help!